Signals at 14 shopping centers to be timed to accommodate increased traffic
From Thanksgiving through New Year’s Day, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will re-time signals to help drivers enter and exit major shopping centers around northern Virginia more quickly. Using traffic data gathered during last year’s holiday season, VDOT developed time- and location-specific signal-timing plans at 223 intersections.
Holiday signal-timing will be in effect from Nov. 24, 2016 through Jan. 1, 2017 at the following shopping centers:
- Springfield Town Center (bold is my emphasis, on purpose of course)
- Tysons and Galleria Shopping Centers
- Reston Town Center
- Fair Lakes Shopping Center
- Fair Oaks Mall
- Potomac Mills Mall
- Manassas Mall
- Cascades Town Center
- Potomac Run Center
- Dulles Town Center
- Leesburg Outlets
- Dulles 28 Centre
- Virginia Gateway Shopping Center
VDOT offers shoppers the following tips for staying safe and avoiding traffic:
- Check 511virginia.org or the 511 mobile app before you go for traffic conditions and locations of crashes and construction lane closures.
- Put down the cell phone (bold again, my emphasis) especially while exiting or entering a shopping center and angling for a parking space.
- Avoid multiple trips to the mall. Consider getting shopping done all in one day, with an early start around 8 a.m. or 9 a.m.
Nancy-jo Manney is the executive director of the Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce. In case it's not obvious, she's a big cheerleader for local business.